Those with broad shoulders often fit into the inverted triangle body shape.
While some may want to be relieved from this feature, there are those who consider it a great asset to having a classic body feature. A lot of women can feel self-conscious about their wide shoulders, as they can look disproportionate to their hips. The trick is to create a visual balance to flaunt your best assets, which will automatically shift the attention from the flaw areas.
First things first, steer away from pieces that add focus to the shoulder area.
- V-necks, scoop-necks and collarless blouses are great as they divert the attention toward your collarbones and chest area instead.
- Most sleeves look great on the body, for example fitted sleeves, raglans and loose and long dolman sleeves can make shoulders appear smaller.
- Asymmetric cuts and necklines that fall diagonally.
- Tops with wide straps rather than spaghetti straps
- Peplum tops are a great way to add waist definition to your figure as it cinches the waist while the flaring at the bottom balances out your shoulders.
- Throw over a jacket that elongates your figure rather than cropped and boxy jackets, which make your upper body look wide and short.
Avoid wearing anything with puff, cap sleeves or shoulder pads as these will visually broaden rather than minimise your shoulders.
The key to balancing broad shoulders and narrow hips is to generate more volume from the waist down.
Dresses & Skirts:
- Flared, flowy or A-line skirts are great pieces to have in your wardrobe.
- Full skirts help give the appearance of a more even proportion.
- Fit and flare, wrap and sheath dresses are flattering and can be dressed up or down and easily paired with a jacket or coat.
Trousers: wide-leg, bootleg and culottes will balance out the broadness up top.
Let’s design your perfect wardrobe together!
Work with a Personal Stylist Online
Select Luxurious Surplus Fabrics
Risk-Free Remote or In-Person Fittings
Get your Final Couture Garment Delivered to Your Door
Each design project is unique and we're confident we can bring your vision to life! Work with real stylists & designers, in your home to create your Dream Clothes.
Handcrafted by skilled artisans in Europe & UK
Creative and Collaborative Experience Guaranteed
Save your Time & Energy