Embracing your body shape is the foundation of confident and stylish dressing. Therefore, if you have an inverted triangle body shape, characterized by broader shoulders and a narrower waist and hips, this article is your guide to creating outfits that flatter your figure. From tops and bottoms to dresses and accessories, we’ll explore the best fashion choices to enhance your proportions and boost your confidence.
In this guide you will fing out:
What is the inverted triangle body shape?
The inverted triangle body shape, also known as the “V-shaped” body, is a common body shape characterized by broader shoulders and a narrower waist and hips. It is widely believed, individuals with an inverted triangle body shape typically have well-defined shoulders that are wider than their hips, giving the appearance of an inverted triangle when looking at the body from the shoulders down.
Key Features of the Inverted Triangle Body Shape:
- Shoulders: The shoulders are the most prominent feature of this body shape. So they are notably broader than the hips and waist.
- Bust: The bust is often well-defined and proportionally larger in comparison to the waist and hips.
- Waist: The waist is usually narrower and less defined compared to the bust and shoulders.
- Hips: The hips are narrower in relation to the shoulders and may lack significant curves.
How do I create balance with an inverted triangle figure?
As your shoulders are the broadest part of your body, the key is to find a balance while minimising volume around shoulders and adding more volume among hips.
Say “YES” to:
- V and U – shape collars as they will elongate your neck
- Monochrome/neutral colours tops and print/bright bottoms
- Wear wide belts and fitted suits, blazers or coats
- Wrap and pleated dresses as well as shape fitted top and voluminous skirt A – line dresses.
- Wear dress with small prints/vertical lines
Say « No » to:
- Boat, wide scoop and high neckline
- Pencil cut skirts
- Try to avoid wearing short, off shoulder/ puff sleeves
What jeans are best for the inverted triangle body shape?
When selecting jeans for an inverted triangle body shape, the goal is to create balance by adding volume to the lower body and drawing attention away from the broader shoulders. In this case, here are some types of jeans that can work well for individuals with an inverted triangle body shape:
- Bootcut Jeans: Bootcut jeans gently flare out from the knee down, which can help create the illusion of more balanced proportions by adding volume to the lower leg.
- Wide-Leg Jeans: Wide-leg jeans have a roomier fit throughout the leg, which can balance out the broader shoulders and create a more proportional look.
- Flared Jeans: Flared jeans have a more dramatic flare at the ankle, which can create a sense of balance by adding volume to the lower leg and hip area.
- Boyfriend Jeans: Boyfriend jeans are often looser and relaxed in fit, which can provide a more balanced silhouette when paired with fitted tops.
- Straight-Leg Jeans: Straight-leg jeans have a uniform width from hip to ankle, creating a clean and streamlined look that complements the inverted triangle shape.
- Mid-Rise or High-Rise Jeans: Opt for mid-rise or high-rise jeans that sit at your natural waist or slightly above it. Thus, these styles can help define your waist and create a more balanced appearance.
Avoid Skinny Jeans. While skinny jeans are popular, they may emphasize the difference between your broader shoulders and narrower hips.
“I encourage women to embrace their uniqueness and help them find their personal style through styling coach sessions”
Nathalie Neuilly, capsule wardrobe style coach, CEO Dressarte Paris
89% of my clients are women who want to feel chic and confident in what they wear. Are you also looking for an authentic wardrobe?
I’d be happy to help!
How can I accentuate my waist with an inverted triangle figure?
Accentuating your waist is a great way to create a balanced and flattering look for your inverted triangle body shape. Here are some tips and tricks to help you define and highlight your waist:
- Belted Styles: Incorporate dresses, tops, and jackets with built-in belts or cinched waistlines. Undoubtedly, a well-placed belt can instantly create the illusion of a defined waist.
- Wrap Dresses and Tops: Wrap-style clothing naturally cinches at the waist, creating an hourglass effect. Remember, wrap dresses and tops are versatile and universally flattering.
- High-Waisted Bottoms: Opt for high-waisted pants, skirts, and shorts. As a resul, they sit above your natural waistline and draw attention to the smallest part of your waist, creating a curvier silhouette.
- Layer with Belts: Layer a belt over dresses, cardigans, or jackets to create a focal point at the waist. In addition, choose belts with interesting details or embellishments to draw the eye.
Structured Jackets: Wear structured blazers or jackets that taper at the waist. This not only defines your waist but also balances your shoulders. Tailoring garments to your specific measurements ensures that they drape beautifully and flatter your body shape. Don’t hesitate to work with a professional tailor to customize your clothing for the perfect fit.
- Use Color Blocking: Opt for dresses or tops with contrasting colors at the waist as it creates a visual break and draws attention to your waistline.
- Accessorize Strategically: Wear statement belts, corset-style belts, or waist-cinching accessories to draw attention to your waist.
- Opt for Fitted Tops: Choose tops that are fitted around the waist to showcase your natural curves. Hence it is better to avoid overly baggy or boxy styles that may hide your waist.
- Empire Waist Dresses: Empire waist dresses have a high waistline just below the bust. consequently, this style can create the illusion of a smaller waist and emphasize your bust and lower body.
To sum it up, experiment with different styles, cuts, and accessories to find what makes you feel confident and accentuates your waist in a way that suits your personal style
Would you like to know more about CAPSULE WARDROBE? All articles are HERE
Which celebrities have an inverted triangle body shape?
Several celebrities have been identified as having an inverted triangle body shape, characterized by broader shoulders and a narrower waist and hips. Here are a few well-known celebrities who fit this body shape:
Renee Zellweger: Renee Zellweger’s body shape is often described as an inverted triangle, with her emphasis on her upper body and shoulders.
Angelina Jolie: Angelina Jolie is often cited as an example of an inverted triangle body shape. She has broad shoulders and a toned upper body, which creates the classic V-shaped silhouette.
Naomi Campbell: Naomi Campbell, a renowned supermodel, has a body shape with broader shoulders and a narrower waist and hips. She often rocks styles that highlight her statuesque frame.
Uma Thurman: Uma Thurman’s slender hips and broader upper body contribute to her inverted triangle body shape.
Demi Moore: Demi Moore’s well-defined shoulders and athletic upper body align with the inverted triangle body shape. She often embraces styles that flatter her figure.
Would you like to create unique pieces to enhance your natural proportions while feeling confident and stylish? Let’s do it!
Each design project is unique and we're confident we can bring your vision to life! Work with real stylists & designers, in your home to create your Dream Clothes.